Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Swamini Turiyasangitananda: 1937 - 2007

























Although I'm truly shocked and saddened by her unexpected passing, I can take comfort in the fact that, unlike other spouses/children of famous artists whose own work will always be compared/overshadowed by their more notable kin, many were aware of and touched by her beautiful and serene music. "Blues Minor," a duet with the equally brilliant Marian McPartland, is a far more intricate and exquisite affair than its deceptively simple title would lead you to believe. "Opus 27," another duet, is much more subdued and somber, endlessly evocative without the uttering of a single word. Rest assured, both works will serve as my soundtrack for the next few days as I remember this fallen jazz legend.

Alice Coltrane with Marian McPartland - Blues Minor


Alice Coltrane with Marian McPartland - Opus 27


Much thanks to Siddhartha and fellow bloggers for bringing this news to the attention of myself and others who may not have otherwise found out. I'm glad to know others in our community were lucky enough to be see her perform or just enjoy her presence, even if it was for a fleeting moment.

2 Comments:

Blogger chick pea said...

hiya mr. pooooonjabi...

my parents went to her ashram in california... she was a true gentle soul.. i met her in india... a fabulous person and a great loss to the world..

6:40 PM  
Blogger djdrrrtypoonjabi said...

O-ring: I have her whole album with Marian McPartland, but I recommend that you purchase it if you can - it's worth it. What'd you think of her music so far? [Sidenote: And what posessed you to start a blog about o-rings?]

Chick Pea: I'm glad you had a chance to meet her, did you get a chance to listen to the mp3s I posted? If the link is broken, I'll up them again.

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home